While there are a lot of free or affordable courses online for writing (and perhaps also in person in your local area), these tend to focus on the basics. The art of writing takes a whole life time to master. It’s an ongoing process of experimentation, discovery, and fine-tuning. One way to help your growth as a writer is to listen to other writers. So, I’ve compiled this writing course of free resources for myself – feel free to take from it what works for you.
- Writing magical realism – article.
- Literature and form – four 1-hour lectures on topics like comparative literature, the unreliable narrator, multiple plotting, and chapters.
- Writing sources – 80 mins lecture.
- World literature – various videos and readings for 13 novels from around the world.
- Characteristics of magical realism – 12 min video.
- Guillermo del Toro: 1st master class 100mins, Spanish. Second master class, 2 hours. Third master class, 3 hours.
- Psychoanalysis and literature – writing trauma, sexuality, ego and more – 43 mp3 podcasts about 1 hour each.
- Latin American history throughout the novel – 24 video lectures (U Houston)
- Various short video chats by Eduardo Galeano and Gabrial Garcia Marquez on writing (mostly just in Spanish). Link, link, link, link, link, link